The Helena Education Foundation has been making a difference in our local public schools since 2002. As a 501(c)3 charitable nonprofit, the Foundation serves all students – K-12 – as well as educators in the Helena School District. Contributions to the Foundation are used to implement 9 signature programs delivered each year including:
- Fabulous Firsts gives to all first graders award-winning, hard-cover books to keep an full sets to libraries.
- Carnival Classic kicks off each school year with a community-wide celebration of public education and enables school groups to raise funds for their activities.
- Great Ideas Grants awards $40,000 annually to teachers for in and out of the classroom innovative projects and opportunities.
- Mini Great Ideas Grants offers additional funding for smaller classroom projects.
- Celebration of Excellence honors distinguished graduating scholars, achievers and the educators who most inspired their success – celebrating excellence, drive and leadership.
- Pen & Ink magazine features the creative works of student writers and artists.
- Harrison Writing Awards recognizes young writers with cash awards.
- Great Conversations provides a night of thought-provoking, civil conversation about relevant topics to promote life-long learning
- Let’s Talk About Great Teachers acknowledges, in conjunction with Great Conversations, exceptional educators who make a difference in the lives of students every day.
- Issues Institutes provide unique learning opportunities on current and emerging topics affecting youth and families as well as relevant topics that elevate our community.
- Special projects to address needs including Specialists Backpacks. Lights On Helena, Dancing Classrooms, and more.
Since the Helena Education Foundation began in 2002:
$766,470 invested through Great Ideas Grants and Mini Great Ideas Grants
120,250 youth and families engaged and informed through 52 Issues Institutes
1,901 students and teachers honored at Celebration of Excellence
635 conversations with 5,408 youth and adults at Great Conversations
11,825 first graders received books through Fabulous Firsts
600 student works published in Pen & Ink magazine
225 school and business collaborations forged through Trading Places
2,440 students gained life skills at Vigilante Academy
28,450 enjoyed and celebrated Carnival Classic
$14,500 awarded to 54 student authors through Harrison Writing Awards
1,202 educators recognized through Let’s Talk About Great Teachers
Your generosity ensures we will be able to continue impacting the educational experiences of our 8,000 public school children.
We at HEF are thoughtful, responsible, and efficient stewards of donations we receive and we practice transparency and accountability.
HEF provides sponsorship opportunities to businesses, groups, and individuals for all of our programs and special projects. We strive for excellence in our stewardship of the donations we receive and provide outstanding recognition, promotion and engagement opportunities for our funding partners. (see our annual report to the community in the Celebration of Excellence booklet ). Sponsors may sponsor a Great Ideas Grant, students and teachers at Celebration of Excellence, Great Conversations, books for Fabulous Firsts, Carnival Classic, Pen & Ink magazine, Issues Institutes and special school and community-wide learning institutes.